This recipe was taken from the website Show Me The Yummy. The recipe was good but their website is annoying af, and you could probably google a different Thai chicken recipe, cook it, and eat it by the time it finishes loading.
Is it the 200 ads on their site? Is it the endless, boring commentary that they ramble on about forever between the picture of the food and the actual recipe? Is it the fictitious questions they're posing that I'm not asking? We may never know; their page may never actually load.
I was looking for something Asian or Indian to make in my slow cooker, and this definitely fit the bill. I tried a slow cooker butter chicken recipe a while back, and while it smelled amazing, it lacked a little something. Like, taste. That smell, though. If I ever had a supper date with no mouth, this is the meal I would make.
The second thing that made me want to try this recipe was the use of Thai Kitchen Red Curry Paste. There might be better Thai curry pastes out there (I'm not a Thai curry paste connoisseur), but I've used this one before and I liked it.
I liked the flavours and how easy it was to make. Still, there are some things to consider for next time:
- I went a little light on the curry paste. I would definitely use the full amount next time, and maybe even a little more.
- No vegetables in the slow cooker! Anything I might want to add (onions, peppers, snow peas, etc.) I will saute and add to the meal after the fact.
- I didn't add any fish sauce, 'cuz I didn't have any. I'd try the fish sauce next time.
- I went pretty hard on the ginger, and I'm still not sure there was enough.
- There was too much sauce for the amount of food items. This might be changed by sauteing and adding more vegetables. I would also consider using four chicken breasts instead of three.
Rating: 7/10. It's okay, but I'd look to some changes when making it again.
Crockpot Thai Chicken Curry
Ingredients1 (14 oz) can full fat coconut milk
1/4 cup peanut butter
2 tablespoons red curry paste
2 tablespoons fish sauce
3 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons brown sugar
4 cloves garlic minced or pressed
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts
Additional Ingredientsred bell peppers sautéed - optional, but recommended*
onions sautéed - optional, but recommended*
snow peas sautéed - optional, but recommended*
Cilantro for topping
peanuts for topping
sliced green onions for topping
- Grease crockpot with cooking spray.
- Whisk together sauce ingredients: coconut milk, peanut butter, red curry paste, fish sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, garlic, chicken stock, ground ginger, and crushed red pepper flakes directly in the crockpot.
- Place chicken breasts on top.
- Spoon sauce over the chicken, so it's fully submerged.
- Cook in crockpot on LOW for 3 hours.
- After 3 hours, remove chicken from the crockpot and cut into large, bite sized chunks. Place back into the sauce and stir to coat.
- Serve immediately with sauteed bell peppers over rice. Top with chopped cilantro, crushed peanuts, and sliced green onions.